In a large number of plumbing cases, the problems that often occur are leaks, clogs or drips. During winter, another problem that needs to be kept in mind is frozen pipes. Keeping your pipes problem-free is one of the most important household duties. By making sure that you always maintain the plumbing in your home at all times, you can save yourself from major plumbing issues and a lot of money as well!
7 Tips for Plumbing Maintenance
With a few simple maintenance tips, you can prevent the plumbing in your home from giving you problems. To avoid huge plumbing bills, you should keep the following tips in mind:
- Insulate pipes outside: When winter arrives, take the time to wrap your pipes with insulation to prevent frozen pipes. If your pipes freeze, it can take a couple of hours at least for them to thaw and provide you with running water again. Frozen pipes can also explode, in which case, you will have a high plumbing repair bill! Be proactive by preparing your pipes for cold weather.
- Use strainers: To avoid clogged pipes, always use strainers on the drains in your home to keep particles from accumulating. When you notice that large debris have accumulated in your strainer, remove them immediately. The longer you wait, the higher the chances of your pipes getting clogged.
- Use enzyme-based pipe cleaners: Instead of using solutions with harsh chemicals to unclog your pipes, opt for enzyme-based cleaners. With natural bacteria present, the sludge that is causing the clog will be turned into liquid, making it easy for you to get the pipes clean and debris-free.
- Keep grease and oil away: To ensure that your kitchen drains do not get clogged, keep oil, grease and fat out of the sink. You may think that they are easy to clean but the truth is that they can cause quite a lot of damage over time.
- Use baking soda and vinegar: With ingredients that you have right in your kitchen, you can clean your drains and keep them clear. This is one of the easiest ways to keep your pipes free of any particles. Take a cup of baking soda and vinegar and pour it down your drain. Do this once a month for a clog-free drain!
- Repair leaky pipes ASAP: If you notice damp spots on your ceilings, walls or floors, you should take immediate action as this is a sign of a serious plumbing problem. It is best to call a professional to repair or replace the pipes that are leaking in your home.
- Get drains and pipes checked regularly: Experts recommend getting drains and pipes checked regularly to make sure that there are no small problems that can easily and quickly turn into major ones. Professional plumbers will inspect every part of your plumbing system and make sure that your drains are damage-free.
Your plumbing bills can skyrocket when you ignore the little signs that tell you that your drains need help. To make sure that you keep your pipes in great shape, you should have a proper maintenance routine. This will help in saving costs and preventing major pipe problems in your home. For the top plumbing inspectors in Toronto, call ExpressRooter Plumbing at 416-746-5116 24/7!